July 7, 2008

Typical Dutch (1)

I've been tagged by Kristel from Vlijtig.
This means that you should write a meme with a Dutch twist. As I am a food technologist, I thought it would be nice to write about typical Dutch foods.
I'll cut this post in two and write a bit more later this week.
Let's start in the moring, where lots of Dutchies begin their day with a glass of milk and a wholemeal sandwich with Dutch cheese (sliced with a very thin slicing thing called "kaasschaaf").
Looks something like this:

Another favorite item to put on our sandwiches is called "Hagelslag", which are tiny pieces of chocolate to sprinkle on a buttered sandwich (in other countries they use it to decorate cakes with).

When it is time for a coffee break in the morning, a cookie is served to accompany the coffee (in bars and restaurants it is often individually wrapped).

The cookie can be a delicious "stroopwafel",

or in case of a birthday or something else to celebrate, a HEMA tompouce,

and when you live in 's-Hertogenbosch like I do, a "Bossche bol" (filled with whipped cream and covered with chocolate).

Enough for now, I'll write more later this week and then I'll tag some other people as well.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Mmm, chocolate sprinkles in a sandwich sounds strangly delicious! And all those other sweet treats look pretty scrummy too. x

Amanda said...

how fun!!

FINIKA said...

I thought you were my friend. To be honest my Best friend, and now you are making me dribble and I am sad!! To top it all off I have had to get a big "kies" removed the other day!! Probably because for 25 years of my life I ate chocolate sprinkles on bread for breakfast and lunch!! I still love you!!!

Kusje Jose